Saturday, October 8, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Over the school holiday I did a little baking. A teacher I worked with a few years ago made this cake and gave me the recipe and I've been meaning to make it since so being the holidays I thought it was the perfect opportunity to do so. 



Ingredients:
400g melted, but not hot butter
250g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
8 eggs, separated
400g dark chocolate (60-70 percent cocoa), melted (I used qadbury old gold, it was the cheapest)
250g almond meal

you'll also need a 26cm springform cake tine (I used a 20cm one but didn't put in all the cake mix)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Whip the butter and sugar together until creamy looking, then beat in the egg yolks and whip well. Beat in the melted chocolate, then fold in the almond meal.

Beat the egg whites until they get peaks that are fairly firm but not completely stiff. A good indicator is that the whites wont slide easily from the bowl when it's tilted. Fold them into the chocolate mix gently, using a quarter of the whites first to lighten the batter, then folding in the remainder until combined evenly.

scrape the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven for about 40-50 minutes (my oven is old and crappy so I baked it for an hour) Testing with a skewer to see if it is cooked. The skewer wont come out completely clean, but the mixture that sticks to it wont be runny either.

It's a fudgy cake, and undercooking isn't the worst thing.
 My cake didn't stay the same as in the picture above it sunk majorly in the middle but that was the best bit it was ultra moist and delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...