Monday, April 11, 2011

Book Club Review

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett


My Bookclub has been meeting for over a year now, we read a book a month and meet every 4 weeks to discuss (and catch up), last month was my selection and I chose "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.

It was a really interesting book based in Mississippi in the 1960's during the civil rights movement. I always loved that part of history at school so it was right up my alley. Skeeter a 20 something white amateur journalist wants to write a book about the treatment and job's black help endured in white households, of course during that time it had to be by secret and the story unfolds with a little bit of love, laughter and lots of heartache, let's just say I'm not going to eat a chocolate pie for quite some time. Stockett's style of writing was unique and I really liked it. 

My bookclub rated this book 8/10
I highly recommend it

Some other recommendations I would make from our club are,
"Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen
"Jasper Jones" by Craig Silvey
"The Bronze Horseman" by Paullina Simons
"The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusak

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...